Junior Travel Ambassadors
The Junior Travel Ambassador scheme is run by Transport for London. The role of our Junior Travel Ambassadors is to make travelling to school safer and more active.
To find out more please click on the links below.
At Alexander McLeod Primary School we encourage pupils and parents to travel to school by cycling, scooting and walking (active travel) wherever possible.
This school travel policy explains how we will be encouraging active travel to school. We will discuss the policy with the pupils regularly to ensure its relevance. For pupils unable to travel to school actively, we encourage use of public transport or car-share.
Some of the benefits of active travel are:
- Improving both mental and physical health through physical activity.
- Establishing positive active travel behaviour.
- Promoting independence and improving safety awareness.
- Reducing congestion, noise and pollution in the community.
- Reducing the environmental impact of the journey to school.
To encourage pupils to cycle or scoot to school frequently the school will:
- Actively promote cycling and scooting as a positive way of travelling.
- Celebrate the achievements of those who cycle and scoot to school.
- Provide cycle and scooter storage on the school site.
- Provide high quality cycle training to all pupils who wish to participate.
To make cycling and scooting to and from school a positive experience for everybody concerned, we expect our pupils to:
- Ride sensibly and safely and to follow the Highway Code.
- Check that their bicycle or scooter is roadworthy and regularly maintained.
- Behave in a manner which shows them and the school in the best possible light and to consider the needs of others when cycling or scooting
- Wear a cycle helmet
- Ensure they can be seen by other road users, by using lights and wearing high-visibility clothing, as appropriate.
For the wellbeing of our pupils, we expect parents and carers to:
- Encourage their child to walk, cycle or scoot to school whenever possible
- Encourage their child to take up opportunities to develop their competence and confidence in cycling or scooting.
- Consider cycling or scooting with their child on the school run, possibly joining with other families.
- Provide their child with equipment such as high-visibility clothing, lights, a lock and cycle helmet as appropriate and ensure that the bicycle and scooters ridden to school are roadworthy and regularly maintained.
Please note that:
- The decision as to whether a child is competent to cycle, scoot or walk safely to and from school rests with the parent(s)/carer(s). The school has no liability for any consequences of that decision.
- This policy covers the journey to and from school where the school has no responsibility or liability. When walking, scooting and cycling activities are being led by the school there are additional rules and guidance concerning equipment such as use of helmets, high visibility clothing, etc
- Parents are advised to consider appropriate insurance cover (check home insurance) as the school is not liable for, and its insurance does not cover, any loss or damage to bicycles and scooters being used on the way to or from school.
STARS – Sustainable Travel: Active, Responsible, Safe
STARS is TfL's accreditation scheme for London schools and nurseries. STARS inspires young Londoners to travel to school sustainably, actively, responsibly and safely by championing walking, scooting and cycling.
STARS supports pupils' wellbeing, helps to reduce congestion at the school gates and improve road safety and air quality.
- Contributes to your pupils' 60 minutes a day of physical activity.
- Increases attendance and attainment.
- Build young people's influencing skills.
- Encourage healthier travel behaviours and habits such as walking, scooting and cycling to school.
If you have any ideas to improve things at or around school for pedestrians and cyclists, or questions about travelling to school, please get in touch with us on our school email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The JTA’s are so proud to be collecting our Gold Award from the TFL STARS, at the Oval. This has only been possible with YOUR SUPPORT!