Curriculum at Alexander McLeod
The curriculum at Alexander McLeod Primary School has been developed to deliver the expectations of the new National Curriculum from September 2014 and to celebrate the wealth of heritage and culture within the Royal Borough of Greenwich. It has been created by a team of Specialist Leaders of Education, Lead Teachers and a National Leader of Education, with input and feedback from the Royal Greenwich Teaching School Alliance Curriculum Committee.
- Our curriculum has been designed with a thematic approach for the majority of subjects. English, Mathematics and some strands of Science and Physical Education have been designed to be taught as discrete subjects, with links to the topics where appropriate
- We have ensured there is full coverage of the new National Curriculum and a clear progression of skills and knowledge within each subject.
- Suggested outcomes for units and topics give pupils a real audience and purpose for their learning, e.g. their own photography exhibition, museum, Greek wedding, letters to authors, making books, documentaries, etc.
- There is a strong focus throughout to develop pupils’ communication and oracy skills, with a whole topic devoted to this in Year 2.
- The Maths framework has been designed with a bi-annual summative assessment cycle integrated into it and assess-analyse-targeted review weeks at the end of ever half term.
- The English Framework includes the study of key authors and whole texts, multicultural texts, units which celebrate our rich and varied literary heritage and the opportunity for pupils to write and publish their own chapter book in Years 2-6. There is a clear progression of grammar objectives and success criteria throughout the units and if schools wish to adapt or move units within or across a year group, they will need to take this into account. The English Framework has also been created to be used alongside the ‘Letters and Sounds’ Phonics Scheme and so objectives covered in this phonics scheme have not been included in the framework.
Below you will find all the information you require to view our whole curriculum. If you would like to find out information about each Year group topic for this term click on the year group tab.